We're a team of professionals from diverse backgrounds who have joined forces to create a new style of mental health facility and care.
We want to bring the philosophy of a world-class spa retreat to a mental health and wellbeing facility, using world’s best research, evidence-based practice, and innovative tech, harnessing nature to nurture our guests, their families and carers, our staff and our community.
To create an alternative in mental health care in New Zealand.
our 5 pillars ...
There are five fundamentals that will support & drive Tūmanako.
Holistic & Sustainable
a centre providing values based psychiatric and psychological care while treating patients as guests
- the centre is focused on providing services that enable emotional, mental and physical wellness
- the building design and operational model will be environmentally, socially and financially sustainable
Nurturing & Inclusive
- the centre will provide compassionate care that acknowledges and values clients, family and their caring communities/support networks
- the centre will grow and provide nourishing food and offer complementary therapies (yoga/mindfulness/massage/acupuncture/reiki/naturopathy/gardening, art and music therapy)
Inspired by Nature
- the centre will be a modern, architecturally designed, calm, green, nature filled sanctuary
- the centre will be a place of healing where the environment contributes to our guests' wellbeing
- harnessing nature to nurture our guests through the use of functional foods and micronutrients
Driven by Research
- the centre will be a place of knowledge production
- the centre will have an inspirational workforce that attracts the best minds, clinicians and practitioners
- the centre will use cutting edge technology to advance the model of mental health care
- technology will be used to treat, connect and educate our communities
NATURE + NURTURE + RESEARCH + INNOVATE + EDUCATE + HEAL
Just three to five minutes spent looking at landscapes with trees, flowers, or water can reduce anger, anxiety, and pain.
What We've Achieved
Over the past year we have:
- established a Core Development Team
established Professional Partnerships with Unispace, PwC and Lane Neave
secured a team of Expert Mental Health and Business Advisors
are incorporating as a Charitable Trust
Ohu & Marcelle have partnered, with an MOU to work together to deliver Tūmanako wellness centre
we are currently preparing our Pledge Me Campaign, which we'll launch in July, 2018
We've presented at Ministry of Awesome's 'Coffee & Jam'
Richard McGill of PwC presented Tūmanako at Inspire 18, Business For Good; a Canterbury Employers' Chamber of Commerce initiative – on using the power of business to solve the world's most complex social and environmental problems.
and we have presented at the Healthy Greater Christchurch Hui
we have been interviewed on NewstalkZb by Chris Lynch
and we're on Facebook @tumanakowellnesscentre