In New Zealand we currently have 5 to 6,000 clinicians and professionally trained people to treat 1 million people with mental health issues.
There is a treatment gap & the problem is huge.
Some sobering facts:
- New Zealand has the highest rate of youth suicide in the developed world
- 1 in 5 adults will be diagnosed with a mental health issue at some time in their lives
- Mental disorders are the 3rd leading cause of health loss for New Zealanders
- in Canterbury, NZ, Mental health presentations are up 72% since the quakes
- Canterbury is in the grip of a chronic mental health problem
- There is a current bed shortage for Christchurch mental health patients
- the need far outstrips the supply of available services
- what is available is under-resourced and over-burdened
tūmanako WELLNESS CENTRE WANTS TO HELP SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS
because the situation is so desperate, for so many, we want to get this started now - using people power, initiative and determination.
We’re great believers in community joining forces to create great things.
We want to build a psychiatric and mental well-being sanctuary that treats patients as guests, and that uses clinical psychology and psychiatric care combined with complementary therapies housed in a healing, ‘living’, self-sustaining building made from natural materials – with gardens inside and out for relaxation, culture, therapy and food production.
This will be unlike any hospital you have ever seen.